Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Seeking Forgiveness

Bism Illah wa as salaamu alaikum wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatuh

I read a beautiful book "The Most Excellent Way to Attain Salvation" By Ibn Al Qayyim, mashaa'Allah. One of the things in there that was very important and useful was that the Prophet, salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam, is reported to have said, "AstaghfirAllah wa atoobu ilayk" over seventy times in just one sitting talking with his companions. In addition, it was reported that he would seek Allah, subhaana wa taala's, forgiveness over 100 times each day. This has made a huge impression on me because the Prophet's sins were forgiven already by Allah, subhaana wa taala. What an amazing example.

I do not say those words of istighfar anywhere near 100 times a day and I should be saying them far more times than our beautiful example of Islam, Prophet Muhammad, salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam. Now I'm looking for a way to incorporate at least 100 astaghfirAllah wa atoobu ilayk utterances in my day, as well as 100 subhaan Allah wa bihamdihi, subhaana Rabbi al atheem (to erase my sins insha'Allah). I'm thinking of a daily Islamic checklist on a white board; I can tick off when I finish something I want to include in my daily routine and dhikr/dua'/quran recitation. In this way, I can keep track and insha'Allah push myself to complete them every day. If I can get into the habit of saying the 100 istighfars while I am cooking, perhaps that will help. Then maybe the subhaanah's while I wash the dishes.

15 years ago, I used to sit with a dear friend who was an older sister and she would say astaghfirAllah over and over again. I wondered why she said it so much. Now I understand! May Allah forgive her and grant her the ultimate success and may we all benefit from this reminder - ameen.

Bi ithn'Allah our efforts to include this in our day will be met with success - ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment